“The Mobile Omnivore”: A Webcast on O’Reilly
Tomorrow (Tuesday, April 3, 2012) at 10AM Pacific, Jason and I will be presenting “The Mobile Omnivore: A Taste Test of Mobile Website Development” on O’Reilly. The 60-minute webcast will include a 35-minute (ish) presentation, followed by audience Q&A.
The mobile web is a complex place. There are lots of ways to build a mobile website—how do you choose the right tool for the job?
In this webcast presentation, we touch on a series of technologies and techniques including:
- Responsive Web Design (RWD)
- Mobile-first RWD
- Server-side device detection
- HTML5 and CSS3 on mobile
- Device idiosyncrasies
- Some of our favorite tools and tips for mobile development
Who is this webcast for?
The webcast is free. Register now—we’ll see you there!
Here are some links to some of the topics and tools we talk about in our presentation.
- Ethan Marcotte’s original article about Responsive Web Design on A List Apart
- The Boston Globe’s new responsively-designed site
- A few articles about using the Fluid Formula and creating fluid layouts: from Jake Bresnehan and StudioPress
- You can also read Ethan’s brief and comprehensive book: Responsive Web Design
- Our blog post about em-based media queries
- Respond.js polyfill for media queries in IE
- WURFL device database, service by ScientiaMobile
- DeviceAtlas device detection service
- RESS (Responsive Design + Server-side Components) post by Luke Wroblewski
- Responsive.is for previewing responsive designs
- ResponsivePX for previewing responsive designs
- Chrome extension: Window Resizer
- Adobe Shadow testing and preview tool
- Future friendly
- Our book: Head First Mobile Web (O’Reilly)